Gonna be here at home for the next week and a half getting these research papers done (one of which is due on Monday, nearly done with that one). Mercifully, I’ve been able to take extra leave off from work because of a lack of current work for me before I move onto my new section so that’s a blessing in disguise.
Am finding that the selections from piano works of Erik Satie are the perfect study music during this time; in particular, I have got the recitals by Aldo Ciccolini (1986, EMI), Anne Queffelec (1988, Virgin), Pascal Roge (1984, Decca) and Daniel Varsano & Philippe Entremont (1979, Sony Classical) playing along in the background. Having Satie on is like having the ambient, minimalist stuff by Brian Eno, John Cage, et al on. Does wonders for the concentration (and at bedtime, wonders as a sleeping aid). One of these days, I would love to get a complete set of Satie’s piano works on CD (the 6 disc Ciccolini set from 1965 to 1971 on EMI is looking good along with the 4 disc set by Queffelec in 1988 on Virgin).
Also am finding as good background music the following albums:
– Otto Klemperer & Philharmonnia Orchestra, BEETHOVEN: Symophonies 5 & 7 (orig’s 1956 & 1987, 2002 remaster; EMI Great Recordings of the Century 567851 2)
– Samson Francois (pf); Orchestre National de l’Opera de Monte-Carlo (Louis Fremaux, cond.) – CHOPIN: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (orig. 1967, 2000 remaster; EMI Great Recordings of the Century 567232 2)
– Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy (Jerome Kaltenbach, cond.) – SATIE: Orchestral Works (1999; Naxos 8.554279)
– Francois Wegel (pf); Thomas Bloch (Ondes Martenot); Polish NRSO (Antoni Wit, cond.) – MESSIAEN: Turangalila Symphony; L’ascension (2000, Naxos 8.554478-79)
– Sefika Kutluer (flute); Juraj Bartos (trumpet); Cyril Zelenak (drums); Juraj Griglak & Boris Lenko (accordion); Razumovsky Orchestra (Peter Breiner, pf & cond.) – Tango Goes Symphony (2002 & 2003; Naxos 8.557004)
– Stan Getz (ten. sax); Kenny Barron (pf); Rufus Reid (dbl. bass); Victor Lewis (drums) – Cafe Montmartre (2002; EmArcy Jazz/Universal Music Jazz France 586 755-2)
– Michael Buble – Call Me Irresponsible (Spec. Ed.) (2007; Warner/Reprise 9 325583 043260)
– Mikhail Pletnev (pf) – LISZT: Piano Sonata in B minor; Apres une lecture de Dante, Gnomenreigen, Funerailles (orig 1998, re-release 2005; Deutsche Grammophon Critic’s Choice 476 7237)
– Kyung Wha Chung (vn); London SO (Andre Previn, cond.) – PROKOFIEV: Violin Concerto Nos. 1 & 2; STRAVINSKY: Violin Concerto in D major (orig 1973 & 1977, re-release 2005; Decca Critic’s Choice 476 7226)
Back to research papering. Hope that all you readers out there are having a much less stressful time than I am.
+ bf 1201hrs